Weingarten Realty proudly releases the third annual Corporate Responsibility Report detailing the company’s efforts on environmental sustainability, associate wellness and community philanthropy.
In doing so, it presents an in-depth look at our GreenForward program, our efforts in water and energy management, our associate wellness program, and our cause-worthy campaigns (both company and associate sponsored).
Among several WRI record-breaking achievements, the Corporate Responsibility Report highlights that in 2017 Weingarten Realty:
- WRI continued its recognition as a 2017 Green Lease Leader presented by the Institute for Market Transformation and the Department of Energy Better Buildings Alliance
- Retrofitted over 10% of the portfolio to LED lighting.
- Recycled record number of 70k+ tons of materials
- Increased landfill diversion to a record 37%
- Increased energy savings to a record 3.65 million kWh
- 448,196 square feet of cool roofs installed throughout portfolio (87.3% of roofs installed during 2017)
- Weingarten Realty has implemented over thirteen (13) sustainable initiatives throughout our national portfolio. We are proud to report 100% of the core portfolio has at least one sustainable initiative implemented.
“Corporate responsibility is prevalent in the daily practices at Weingarten Realty. We not only see this as a requirement, but as a duty to our associates, patrons, tenants, investors, and properties,” says WRI President and CEO, Andrew Alexander. “By owning, developing and managing environmentally friendly shopping centers, Weingarten Realty recognizes the importance of being a corporate partner to the environment. ”
The full CSR is available to read on our GreenForward webpage.
*Previously called the Corporate Sustainability Report.